Thursday 22 March 2007

"Isolated Incidents" : An Odyssey Adventure

Here it is, the first part of a new Doctor Who spin series adventure, featuring Ben, Kimberly, Theo & Eve.

VOICEOVER: On December 24th, 2006, amateur archaeologist Benjamin Sebastian Chatham was doing research into pre-Christian remnants and associations in the small village of Little Balcome. That night he disappeared off the face of the Earth, last seen in the company of a strange man calling himself the Doctor near an obsolete metropoliton police box.Ben Chatham subsequently reappeared in the middle of Wales on May 4th, 2010 no older even though four years had passed. Now he must find a place for himself in a future where he doesn't belong and even now is beset by some of the most strangest and disturbing phenomenon known to man. Now in Cardiff, Ben survives as an all-round handyman with an open mind and knowledge of extra terrestrial life forms.If you have a problem...If no one else can help...If it's not too late...And if you can find him...You could do worse than ask Ben Chatham for help.

ISOLATED INCIDENTS


A car pulls up on a country road and a man in civvies, Anderson, emerges. Cautiously he moves through some foliage until he is looking at the valley below. As he approaches, a silver space craft shimmers into existence. Inside, the silver shapes of the crew watch him on their scanner. They are Cybermen!!!

Cyberman: The human has penetrated the detector blind, leader.

Cyberleader: That is to be expected. Raise communication barrier. This is part of the plan.

Anderson stares at the alien ship, then checks his bluetooth. He presses a button. Static. He looks down at the ship and then hurries backwards. The ship vanishes. Anderson tries his bluetooth static.

Inside the ship, the Cybermen watch on.

Cyberman: Communication barrier at full strength.

Cyberleader: Release the Cybermats.

Outside, Anderson heads back to his car. He stops as a quiet bleeping noise is heard. Frowning, Anderson looks around for the source of the noise. A silver shape emerges from the bushes and glides through the grass towards him, bleeping louder and louder. Anderson turns and sees two more heading down the road towards him. More emerge from hiding, the bleeping is defeaning.

Cyberleader: Tap into the fleshman's brainwaves.

A Cybermat leaps onto Anderson's shoulder. He sees it and opens his mouth to scream. Its tiny eyes pulse red. Anderson is transfixed. The dozen other Cybermats' eyes are also flashing. Anderson sways, topples, and crashes to the ground. Bleeping louder and louder, the Cybermats swarm over his still body.


Kimberly and Ben are having breakfast. Kim Wilde's "Kids in America" plays on the radio.

Ben: (flips through newspaper) The prices of these places are ridiculous.

Kimberly: Well, you're the rich man now, remember?

Ben: Not THAT rich. Even an apartment would bankrupt me. The market's obviously gone downhill since I was last here... four years is a long time in property values.

Kimberly: You could get a job to help out.

Ben: Not as easy as it sounds.

Kimberly: What? You with your degree?

Ben: It might have got me a job at the museum. But I've been blacklisted. Honestly, try to stop a chameleonic parasite from wiping out humanity and this is the thanks I get.

Kimberly: You could always get an IT job, like me.

Ben: Maybe, but all the computer are four years more advanced. You don't even have televisions any more!

Kimberly: Tele... Oh, right. TVs. Well, the computers took over that. Digital broadcasts.

Ben: I can't even get the internet to work. Who'll employ me when even the keyboards aren't the same shape!

Kimberly: Yeah, well, you can stay here as long as you pay rent. But you're going stir-crazy. Maybe you could start a band, get famous. You can play an instrument can't you?

Ben: A couple. But I don't know anyone else in town who'd have the same interests - or skills. Everyone does it on computer nowadays... No. Looks like low-paid menial jobs are all I can get.

Kimberly: No shame in that. We're all in the gutter - it only matters that we're looking at the stars.

Ben: (smiles sadly) Guess so.


In an office, three stern looking beaurocrats are glaring across the table at Theo, who isn't that fussed.

Boss: Everyone's first day is the worst, but even allowing for that, you crashed the bus two hours into your job!

Theo: I'm not denying that, am I? No one was hurt...

Boss: The bus was utterly destroyed!

Theo: Are you saying a bus is worth more than human life?

Boss: I'm saying it's worth more than your job! We couldn't even use it for scrap!

Theo: You all read the papers, saw the news, you know what happened.

Boss: Yes, you gave your friends a joy ride trying to chase some revived dinosaur, crashed the bus and blew it to pieces. Who do you think you are, Theo? Keanu bloody Reeves?

Theo: (snorts) Bogus.

Boss: Yes. Yes it is. And so is the fact you are fired.

Theo: Yeah, I did kind of detect that vibe. I suppose a reference is out of the question?

Boss: It is. You are summarily dismissed. No references. We will be discussing legal action...

Theo: Will you? When UNIT have all the evidence in their Area 51?

The boss seethes.

Boss: You shall also be fined for the replacement bus.

Theo: Ah. Well, I'm not saying it isn't fair, or that I wouldn't be willing to pay for it, but my liquid cash reserves are low. My parents died a while back...

Boss: I have no interest in your personal life, Mr. Klyngiro... Klyngira... Theo. The fact is you have no less than three months to pay us a sum for 11, 612 euros or you will be facing criminal charges and a possible prison sentence.

Theo: You're kidding! That bus wasn't worth that much!

Boss: We will have to replace the bus, retrain our drivers and rebuild the public confidence in this company that YOU alone, Theo, have destroyed. I am very disappointed in you Theo, and I can only tell you to learn from this in your future. Should you have one.

Theo: Fair enough. I'll just a whip round, shall I? Maybe I'll sell my story to the papers - "Heroic Bus Driver Fined For Saving Innocent Lives"! I know, I'll go round to the aristocracy and get myself adopted by the Duke of Kiddiminster and get an advance on his will! I'll be back in no time, so stay where you are.

He turns and storms out.

Outside the office, Eve is waiting for him at reception. Bare Jr's "You Blew Me Off" plays.

Eve: Didn't go well, huh?

Theo: Would have been easier if those hot coals they were raking me over were the genuine article.

Eve: Ouch. How bad?

Theo: 11, 612 euros. It'll have to be leftovers tonight.

Eve: You'll never raise that.

Theo: No. I won't. (sighs) Something will come up.

Eve: Don't be silly, I'll pay it for you.

Theo: (grins) Ah, that's your game, is it? Get me in debt to you so I have to be your slave forever, is it?

Eve: Yeah, whatever.

Theo: No. Eve, seriously. My problem. I'll sort it out. Maybe I can con Ben into setting up a get rich scheme...

Eve puts a hand to her head, as if dizzy.

Theo: Are you all right?

Eve: Fine. Look, have the money. Not as a loan, just... just a present. (She starts writing a cheque) I'd only waste in on sour cream, champagne and caviar.

Theo: You hate sour cream, champagne and caviar.

Eve: That's why it would be a waste. (hands over cheque) Please, Theo. For...

She sways. Theo catches her.

Theo: What is it? What's wrong?

Eve: Nothing. Just a bit dizzy. You will give it to them, won't you?

Theo: Yeah, course I will. Look, what's wrong? You look so pale.

Eve: I'll be fine. I'll see you round, I've got to... to go...

She suddenly pushes him aside and runs out. The secretary glances at Theo, who beams at him.

Theo: She's a chapel girl, ain't she?


The beaurocrats are chatting when Theo bursts through the door and throws the checque on the table.

Theo: There you go, ladies and gentlemen. Terribly sorry about the delay.

The boss picks it up, gobsmacked.

Theo: You can keep the change, since money is so important to you. You'll be hearing from my lawyers about this unfair dismissal. No doubt you'll be able to pay for damages, since you are now 11, 612 euros richer. I'll see you lot on the way down.

He sweeps out again. The beaurocrats are speechless.

Beaurocrat: Well, you sure screwed THAT up, Monica.


The Living End's cover of "Tainted Love" plays. Eve returns to her apartment, looking pale, sweaty and ill. Desperately she crosses to a closet filled with silver cases and takes one out. She opens it to reveal phials of a thick blue liquid. She swigs one down and collapses, before rapidly recovering and in moments is fine. Sadly she returns the case to the closet and throws the empty vial into a bin already full of them........

- to be continued

No comments: