Thursday 22 March 2007

The Second Part of "Isolated Incidents"

Anyway, here is the second part of this canon Odyssey story:


Two Cybermen, carrying Anderson's comatose boy, enter the flight deck.

Cyberleader: The Controller orders the fleshmen to be taken through to the experimentation chamber.

Cyberman: Understood.

They head through an archway, deeper into the ship.


Theo heads up the street to Eve's apartment. He lets himself in and looks around.

Theo: Eve? Eve?

Eve emerges from the bathroom, looking perfectly healthy.

Theo: Ah. Looking right as rain again. Was it something you ate?

Eve: Probably. How are you?

Theo: Feeling irretrievably smug.

Eve: Shut them up, did it?

Theo: They may never speak again. But I also feel a little guitly. I don't really like scrounging off my girlfriend.

Eve: I can afford it.

Theo: Can you? How? You just happen to have money to burn nowadays?

Eve: Theo.

Theo: Yeah?

Eve: Leave it. Please.

Theo: (placatingly) All right, all right, I'll leave it. (to himself) Just this once.


Blackness. A low buzzing noise. The blackness brightens into a blur.

Anderson: Wh... what happened? Where... where am I?

Controller: (vo) YOU ARE IN A CONVERSION UNIT. REMAIN SILENT.

Anderson groggily looks around. He is in an upright cubicle, held down by machinery across his torso. His shirt has been removed. Red and green lasers play over his body. Beyond stand three Cybermen.

Controller: (vo) SCANNING IS ALMOST COMPLETE. WE WILL SURVIVE.

Anderson stares fearfully at the impassive metal masks.


A Welsh pub. Ben and Kimberly sit at a table. Ben Lee's "Into the Dark" plays in the background.

Kimberly: You could always ask Eve for work.

Ben: Eve?

Kimberly: Yeah.

Ben: Theo's Eve?

Kimberly: Yeah. I mean, she's not short of a euro or two. She probably knows someone that can help.

Theo enters, carrying their drinks.

Theo: Did I hear you discussing the woman I love?

Ben: A bit. I was wondering if she might help me get a job.

Theo: She'd be up for it.

Ben: Yeah, but is she able?

Theo: I dunno.

Ben: What do you know? I mean, I don't even know her last name.

Theo: Markson.

Ben: OK, but who is she? What are her parents like? Is she kind to the servants?

Theo: What's with the third degree?

Ben: It's just struck me I have no idea about her, except that she's in love with you. For some reason.

Theo: It's all that matters.

Kimberly: Come on, Theo, we're not after blackmail.

Theo: Good, because you came to the wrong person. I don't know much about her either.

Kimberly: Theo. She's your girlfriend. You're supposed to know something.

Theo: It's not my fault. She... doesn't want to talk about her old life. Everything before I bumped into her at that night club she does not want to talk, think about or remember. And I don't mind.

Ben: She could be anything. A criminal!

Theo: Does she look like a criminal, Ben? Or act like one? And, there are no puncture marks on her arms, legs, or feet, she doesn't have a sniffly problem and she's emotionally stable so, I think she's not a recovering junkie either. She's quite happy to talk about anything else.

Kimberly: But, aren't you the least bit curious?

Theo: (sips drink) I survive.

Ben: You could demand answers from her.

Theo: I could. And she could leave me.

Ben: (laughs) And then where would you be? I mean, bodies like that with cash don't come along every day.

Theo: (annoyed) Oh, piss off, Ben!

Ben: Sorry! Sorry.

Eve: (vo) So you should be.

Ben closes his eyes in pain. Eve is standing behind them, arms folded.

Ben: Oh, I am. How nasty a substance have I put my foot into?

Eve: Pretty nasty.

Eve sits down beside Theo.

Ben: Would you like something to drink?

Eve: No thank you. (brighter) Theo, I had a chat to my uncle, the one with the mansion outside of town? Well, he's looking for a caretaker and I couldn't think of a better jack of all trades than you.

Kimberly: Less than a week unemployed, that has to beat the record.

They high-five.

Theo: I suppose I could use some caretaker's mate. Fancy some work experience, Benji?

Ben: Don't call me Benji, Theo.

Theo: Sorry, but if you want the job, you'll have to get used to calling me sir. That is, the lovely Eve will allow you the chance to get a job as you were begging for not moments ago.

Ben whimpers.

Ben: I suppose getting down on my hands and knees and begging forgiveness in order?

Eve: (icily) Of course not, Benji. I learnt long ago to be patient with people who claim to time travel in phone boxes.

Ben: It was a police box!

Kimberly: Mouth is open, Benji.

Ben: Not you too!


At the mobile UNIT HQ Commander Kibbun is pacing behind his desk.

Frost: The body of shape shifter is decaying rapidly. The lab boys are doing their best, but they reckon it will be compost by this afternoon.

Kibbun: Damnit, Frost. First, an unexplained cave demolition, then the shape shfter, then that mysterious reality shift on the weekend and we have no information about any of it! And all of it occured long before UNIT can take charge, this operation has been a shambles!

Frost picks up a dossier. It contains a photo of Ben.

Frost: And this man has, to some extent, been involved in all three extra-normal activities.

Kibbun: Yes. I think we might pay Benjamin Chatham a visit.

Frost: You think what they're saying is true?

Kibbun: And what are "they" saying?

Frost: That Ben Chatham is, well, a Magician's Apprentice.

Kibbun: That, Frost, is why I haven't already had him picked up. It could be that...

There is a knock at the door.

Kibbun: Come!

A Captain enters.

Kibbun: Yes, what is it, Jefferson?

Jefferson: Sorry, sir. Anderson is missing.

Kibbun scowls.


The gang are finishing their drinks. The Who's "Substitute" plays.

Kimberly: Well, I could always give you a lift up this cottage...

Ben: It's not a cottage, it's a mansion.

Theo: Ooh, that'll look good on the resume.

Kimberly: Do you want a lift or what?

Ben: Depends - do we have to pay charge?

Eve: I'll catch you guys up.

Theo nods and they head for the exit.

Kimberly: Do you have any idea how much my car costs to run?

Theo: If you went electric like everyone else...

Eve ducks into the Ladies, checking the stalls are empty. She slips a bluetooth over her ear and presses it. It flashes blue.

Voice: Speak.

Eve: We're on our way.

Voice: So soon?

Eve: For an interview. Like we discussed.

Voice: Very well.

Eve: Please, please don't hurt them.

Voice: Young Theodore?

Eve: All of them! They're my friends, so just... don't hurt them.

Voice: Eve, the subjects will not suffer half as much as you will, if you disobey me.

The blue light cuts out.

Eve: No, no, don't hang up! Uncle! UNCLE!

Breathing hard with panic, she rips off her blue tooth and hurries out, her eyes wet with tears.

... to be continued

No comments: